Tuesday, October 19, 2010

matter of fact e-mail without the frills.

My daughter was diagnosed with TOF /PA and mapca's 2 days after she was born.
At 2 months old our East Coast Hospital tried to put a stent in her PA which gave her a cathastrophic stroke . She recovered from this miraculously well . When she was 5 months old they tried to unifocalize her in 2 stages. She ended up on ecmo after the first trial and almost died.
Miraculously she recovered from this as well with no after effects.
At this stage our hospital wanted to do some soul searching and try to find a different plan of action. They were running out of options.
Through a miracle I found out about Surgeon Frank Hanley who is at Stanford Ca.
http://www.lpch.org/findADoctor/search/doc.pl?doc=16523&resultSet=16523
Hanley pioneered the unifocalization . He can fix TOF/PA with or without Mapca's in ONE surgery instead of three. He also can fix Pulmonary atresia in ONE surgery. Thereby avoiding many risky caths and surgeries.
He is the only one who can literally make arteries bigger.
He saved many, many babies including Eliana who is a happy thriving 21 month old now.
Unfortunately many hospitals on the East Coast don't refer babies with TOF /PA to Doc Hanley .
Since Eliana's "adventure" we have been able to send 3 babies to Doc Hanley. Two of them were send home to die . They all are doing wonderful.
Is is hard , because many times when I speak to parents they don't believe me. But now that we are not alone anymore more and more parents believe me and many babies are being saved.
Please call me if you have any questions . I will do anything within my power to help you.
My number is 301-620-2421. My name is Astrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment